Thinking about making How to Make Reusable Paper Towel? Discover the simple and eco-friendly DIY process for crafting your reusable paper towels. Learn to create a complete set of washable and reusable paper towels in just half an hour. Say goodbye to disposable paper towels and embrace an environmentally sustainable alternative that’s easy on the budget and practical for everyday use.
Supplies and Tools
To get started with this unpaper towels DIY project, you’ll need the following materials:
- Fabric (1 yard of cotton terrycloth fabric and 1 yard of cotton flannel)
- Matching thread
- Scissors (or rotary cutter and a cutting mat)
- Ruler or measuring tape
- Iron and ironing board
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine (even a child’s sewing machine or a mini machine can handle this project)
Preparing the Fabrics
Before diving into the crafting process, it’s crucial to pre-wash your fabrics in hot water. This step ensures any potential shrinkage occurs before the towels are made, preventing any deformation during subsequent washes.
Crafting the Reusable Paper Towels
Follow these steps to create your reusable paper towels:
- Cut the Fabrics: Cut 10 x 10-inch squares from each fabric. Adjust the size as preferred, with 10 x 15 inches as an alternative suitable dimension.
- Layer Fabrics: Place the two fabric pieces on top of each other with their pretty sides facing each other. Pin them together, leaving a small opening for later turning the towel inside out.
- Sew Seam around the edges of the fabrics, using a 3/8″ seam allowance. Consider using a walking foot for easy handling.
- Clip the Corners: Trim the corners slightly to ensure they lay flat after turning the towel inside out.
- Turn the Towel Around: Use the opening to turn the towel inside out and fold in the edges of the opening, securing them with pins.
- Topstitch: Complete the process by topstitching all around the kitchen towel using a 1/4″ seam allowance. Ensure a backstitch at the beginning and end to close the opening.
Experiment with different fabrics and colors to create personalized reusable paper towels. Mix and match the materials available, such as absorbent fabric, linen, cotton, or old towels, for a zero-waste approach.
What are UNPAPER TOWELS?
Unpaper towels, or paperless or reusable cloth towels, serve as eco-friendly alternatives for various purposes, such as washcloths, kitchen cloths, and spill cleaning.
Paper towels VS reusable cloth towels
Contrary to some beliefs, using reusable cloth towels can be more eco-friendly, especially when considering the overall water and electricity usage for their upkeep in comparison to the manufacturing and disposal process of paper towels.
How long do reusable paper towels last?
With proper care, reusable paper towels can remain usable for an extended period, ensuring durability and longevity for everyday use.
How many unpaper towels do I need?
For efficient usage, it’s recommended to have at least two sets of six reusable towels, allowing for rotation and reduced laundry loads.
Help! My reusable unpaper towels crumble and bulk up after washing. How can I fix that?
To resolve issues related to the fabric’s durability, consider stitching two diagonal lines from corner to corner, providing reinforcement and an aesthetic touch to the towels.
Transitioning to reusable paper towels can be both cost-effective and environmentally beneficial. By following these simple steps and utilizing the suggested tips, you can create your own set of durable and washable unpaper towels, reducing your ecological footprint while maintaining the practicality of everyday household tasks.